- Family fun night will be on a designated night of the week, but will be flexible depending on what comes up (usually Friday).
- Jared & I pick an activity from the below list a week in advance to prepare the needed supplies.
- I tell the kids a couple days in advance to increase the excitement.
Watch a Movie; Educational or Just for Fun!
- This is a big event around our house given we don’t watch TV very often.
- To make it educational just pull out the map & pick out a fun place to “go” on your family night. Search youtube or the public library for videos.
- To pick a movie "just for fun" use Commonsense Media to navigate age appropriate materials.
|We took a trip to Hawaii (via YouTube), complete with grass skirts, raspberry smoothies & beach towels on the floor to sun bath! Anna discovered Hawaii on our wall map the day before which inspired this party! The rug in the background became our pool & we took a dip after the movie!|
Whatever You Do, Don’t Smile!
- The "it" person walks from person to person saying “whatever you do, don’t smile”. The recipient replies “whatever you do, I won’t smile.” This continues from person to person until someone smiles. They then become the “it” person.
- One person starts the story & another continues the story until everyone has added their own twist on the plot! Allow each person a designate amount of time.
- This is a quiet, calm activity to really foster imagination & creativity.
- For added inspiration have the family take a nature walk together to find objects to bring home & draw, clip magazine pictures or just look out the window!
- Print a family picture & have the family add “crafting improvements” using string, buttons, paper, pipe cleaner, bells, etc… I'm excited to give this one a try!
- Serve dinner under the table.
- Use the wrong silverware to eat.
- Wear clothes inside out or upside down (tops on bottoms, bottoms on tops!)
- Serve food turned upside down on plate.
- You can use a kids version charades game or create your own. Simply brainstorm & write down emotions, people, places or things on pieces of paper. Have each family member try & act out one charade while the rest of the family guesses. Easy, peasy & lots of fun!
- Everyone throw on pj’s & eat a treat (on a not-so-cold night!) under the stars.
- Check my pinterest page under "Kids Craft Activities" if you are needing inspiration.
- Pull an item out of the pantry & use your imagination to create a commercial using the family video camera!
1). Family Fun magazine
2.) The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination & Nurture Family Connections by Amanda Blake Soule